Paterson, Charles Searl (1902-1967)

Charles Searl Paterson was the son of Charles Gammie and Hannah Paterson of 558 Murray Street, Perth and later 24 Cargill Street, Victoria Park. Charles Gammie Paterson married Hannah Searl(s) in Perth in 1901.

Charles Gammie was a tramway worker upon his marriage to Hannah and they had five children during the course of their marriage: Charles, Alice, Roy, Gladys and Jean.

Charles and Hannah’s son Charles Searl Paterson studied at the University of Western Australia and gained his Bachelor of Engineering degree in 1925.

The Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages lists Charles marrying Cathleen T. Matheson in Perth in 1927.

Charles Searl and Cathleen Paterson had three children: Charles Matheson (b.1930, d. 7.10.1943), Jocelyn and Lesley.

Charles Searl took the post of Assistant Engineer at the City of Perth in 1929, and worked there for 19 years. Charles died on the 22 February 1967, after a long illness, he was 65 years old. The Swan River Conservation Board wrote to the City of Perth on the 31st of March 1967 suggesting that the reserve along the Swan River at 201 Great Eastern Highway be named Paterson Park. They made the suggestion as Charles Searl Paterson had been closely involved with the establishment of the headquarters of the WA Ski Association on the reserve. The City of Perth acknowledged the letter stating that the City and the family of the late Mr Paterson agreed that the reserve be named the Charles Paterson Park.


  1. City of Perth, ‘All about 14 – Parks’, City of Perth [date unknown]
  2. Metropolitan Cemeteries Board – KC00027488
  3. WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages